Our columnist, @michaelhperlman, is the proud owner of a rare MacDonald Memorial Games medal that represents Forest Hills and WWI history at its finest! It features Forest Hills'-own WWI veteran, Captain Gerald MacDonald (1882 – 1929), who served in the 22nd & 12th Engineers. MacDonald Park was named in his honor in 1933, & our park's statue's date of inscription & dedication coincides with this 1934 medal. His brother Henry MacDonald was a member of American Forest Hills Post No. 630 & a WWI naval reservist, who spearheaded the campaign to name our park in his honor. American Legion Post 630 donated funds for the statue that was sculpted by Frederic de Henwood, Henry MacDonald’s brother-in-law. Henry Deacy was the architect.
Hits: 142 Please follow and like us: