If you stare at screens all day, here’s how to protect your eyes
Ok folks, let’s take a quick crash course on blue light…
Sunlight is the main source of blue light, and being outdoors during daylight is where most of us get most of our exposure to it. But there are also many man-made, indoor sources of blue light, including fluorescent and LED lighting and flat-screen televisions.
Most notably, the display screens of computers, electronic notebooks, smartphones and other digital devices emit significant amounts of blue light. The amount of HEV light these devices emit is only a fraction of that emitted by the sun. But the amount of time people spend using these devices and the proximity of these screens to the user’s face have many eye doctors and other health care professionals concerned about possible long-term effects of blue light on eye health.
Why blue light is harmful to your eyes…
- Blue light contributes to retinal disease, lenticular disease and ocular surface disease.
- In a study (using a 40 year old eye), it was found that the retinal cell death rate decreased by 25% when there was a 20% cut out of blue-violet light.
- In another study called “Age-related maculopathy and the impact of blue light hazard,” it was proved that blue light is considered 50 to 80 times more efficient in manifesting retinal photoreceptor death than green light.
Now, how to protect your eyes from these harmful blue rays…
Crizal Prevencia is a No-Glare lens that blocks out specific wavelengths of blue light from reaching the patient’s ocular tissue. It is basically an Anti-Reflective (AR) lens, similar to standard Crizal No-Glare treatment, except it is specific to blocking the narrow band of blue light from 415-455 nanometers (nm) which is specifically the “retinal damaging” light.
The Crizal Prevencia lens does not block the 480nm spectrum and therefore will not affect suppression of melatonin, the chemical that regulates the sleep/wake cycle. This is a particular advantage for patients that would like to keep their sleep/wake cycle untouched. It is something I tell patients about and is a great way to convey the value of this lens.
- Crizal Prevencia is proven to deflect harmful blue-violet light by 20%
- Crizal Prevencia has an Eye-Sun Protection Factor (E-SPF) of 25, which means 25x times more UV protection for your eyes compared to wearing no lens at all*⁽²⁾
This lens is completely clear, unlike other competitive yellow blue-blocking lenses. This is a great choice for those who do not want a “socially awkward” yellow lens. This lens does have a purple hue on the front side, that can been seen under certain conditions and it indicates that the lens is actively blocking harmful blue-violet light!
Right now, local optical store MK Vision Center is having a 50% OFF summer sale on Crizal Prevencia lenses. MK Vision is located at 107-29 71st Ave, Forest Hills, NY 11375.
Content sponsored by MK Vision Center